Saturday, April 10, 2010

temper tantrum

We used to say it when we were kids, and someone was having a temper tantrum: "you can't always get what you want..."

In my adult life, once in a while when I have to work with a particularly difficult person, I have this incongruous, very cheesy fantasy that I just start rocking out and singing to the person "you can't, always get, what you want, but if you try sometimes...." (incongruous because that song was probably not about temper tantrums.)

Today I realized that I've been throwing a temper tantrum with God. I have been moping around because I didn't get what I wanted, and I'm not willing to move on. I have to realize I can't always get what I want. Momentarily I'm amusing myself by listening to Mick Jagger. Later I am going to have to deal with God on this, and it will probably have something to do with a cliché story about taking away a kid's mud pies that he really really loved and giving him ice cream he didn't realize he wanted but really liked in the end.

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?


No comments:

Post a Comment