Thursday, April 8, 2010

Usefulness and Intercessory Prayer

When I was little my dad would take me to our family-owned garage and my aunt would give me office jobs to do. My tasks consisted of stamping new invoices with our garage name and assembling promotional key chains. I felt very important and needed.

One day my mom and I were planning out our day, and I called my aunt to see if she 'needed' me in the office. My memory is very faint, but I know that somehow from our conversation I learned that having assembled key chains on hand was not a top priority in the office. I'm pretty sure I cried. I was not needed.

I think those feelings I had shows a basic human need: the need to feel useful.

In light of that need, God has given us an incredible gift. In addition to saving us from our sins, he has created us in Christ Jesus for doing good works. God has planned out work for me to do. God is giving me the resources I need to do that work. God is going to use me.

I realized this gift after seeing some prayers that Paul prayed for his friends. They are prayers that I know others are praying for me, and that I want to pray for my loved ones.


...we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be... bearing fruit in every good work... Colossians 1:9,10


To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, II Thessalonians 1:10


I like that second verse because I resolve to do many a good work that I'm not quite sure will get done...

I searched the words 'every good work', and these two beautiful blessings came up. I guess they are prayers, I'm not quite sure what a blessing is...

This first one is incredibly personal, like this good work thing is going to be between me and Jesus:


Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. II Thessalonians 2:13

This second one was a favorite verse in high school, after I discovered (I'm not being facetious here) Revelation 4:11 and that we were created for the express purpose of pleasing God.


Now may the God of peace... equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. Hebrews 13:20-21

Thank you for giving me good works, Lord.



3 comments:

  1. What rich verses! Thank you for sharing them. I liked what you said about "needing to be needed." It is so true. Loving God isn't enough. It is in the act of showing that love to others that I truly think that we feel fulfilled as believers. How exciting that He has prepared these works in advance for us to do and He will equip us to do them! I guess our part in it all is to find what that work is and try to do it with His strength and not our own.

    Hope you don't mind that I commented ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I guess its ok that you commented :) :) :)

    Glad you enjoyed the post. I love those verses and you idea about showing love.

    The strength thing is something else I've been pondering lately too... apparently there is this mystical power God gives, and its not just all about me finding the right combination of diet, exercise blah blah blah. Oh the things you find when one actually reads the Bible...

    Looking forward to seeing you if you come w/ Justin to church tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! We'll all be there. I'm very excited about coming! :o)

    ReplyDelete